Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Haiti...
















Hello Everyone-
All is well here & we're adjusting as well as can be expected. Whenever someone here thinks they have the upper hand on us, we come up with something else! We people from the east coast live too fast & too seriously!
I went to the jobsite yesterday, Tuesday, October 5th. It is coming along quite nicely, although with one less man, they are really feeling the difference. PAT....WE MISS YOU!!!
Instead of a normal raising gang of 2 in the air, 2 on the ground & 1 raising gang foreman, whom is Billy, he is taking up slack elsewhere where ever he is needed....so he's everywhere! Ronnie is doing the same. They have Haitians working with them as well, but they aren't used to working the way our guys are. Our guys rock!
Once again, I leave for a couple of days & the Iron Market is being transformed into what is was meant to be. It's very impressive!
The heat index has been around 100 or so & if you can't find relief in the shade when your working, it takes it's toll on you. You also have to drink A LOT of water. Yesterday, Ronnie finally got to run the crane so they could finish out the day. The crane operator was seeing stars & needed to step away from the crane. Ronnie ended up running the crane for the rest of the day. He loved it! It was written all over his face!
I got to ride in the basket on the crane yesterday & went up 100 feet. That's as far as the crane booms out. I didn't realize how close we were to the water & the Port District. It's only a couple of blocks or so away. This is supposed to be the worst area in Haiti....and so it seems. I knew about all the people around us as I get onto of the tractor trailors full of steel sometimes when I hear something going on outside our walls, & I have been on top of the steel up in the air too, but you don't realize the magnitude until you're up that high. It's quite a site.
Something that really phased me yesterday on the ride in to the job was a small boy, about my grandson Mason's age, 9, was standing on a busy street corner, (well, I guess they all are) & was totally naked, pouring a cup of water over his head, washing himself in the sewer water. He was alone. That image will remain burned in my mind forever. This is how we've seen many people wash, in the sewers, with a bucket, along the sides of the road with the water running down the street, it goes on & on....never take water for granted AND teach your children well...do not waste!
We went out for pizza last night at a place the guys found while out on Sunday called Muncheez. The food was good, but we were there for around 3 hours by the time we were done. It took so long to get our food. Tip: NEVER get the american cheese...ALWAYS ask for mozzarella!!!
We had another thunder storm last night. Nothing unusual about that, but it was a good one! Lot's of rain & lots of noise! It was great to be inside, safe & sound listening to it happen.
Today I did my laundry by hand in the bathtub. It took me 3 1/2 hours. I have a whole new respect for my washing machine & for all the women here who HAVE to wash their clothes by hand. It's a backbreaking process And just let someone from up above throw down shovels full of old dried leaves & you can begin the entire fun process again! ANYWAY...don't get me started!
The guys just got in so I have to close now. It has been good talking to you all! Please continue to send messages! We love hearing from home!
God Bless!
PS I just uploaded 156 images from Saturday at the jobsite. I know I'm a little behind so I'm giving you a little teaser with the images from yesterday on here today. I'm catching up as quickly as I can!!!
PPS I hope this all makes sense as it's been a long day & I can't think straight anymore...sorry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment