Sunday, October 3, 2010

Haiti Happy Birthday to Billy Day!!





















Today is Billy's birthday! It worked out perfectly being the guys only day off this week. So far, we've celebrated in our room, making Billy & all the guys a nice breakfast. Not something they've had since they've been here. (I did the best I could with what we have to work with!) Right now, we're trying to set up a helicopter ride for this evening. I hope it works out as I had one the other day & it was freaking AWESOME!!! I met Collin, the pilot, here several days ago. A nice guy from Canada & works as a bush pilot there. He's been here since March & will work here for a full year. He had to go to the airpot for fuel & asked if I wanted to go for a ride.....what else would I say??!! It was only 8 minutes there & 8 minutes back, but, so FREAKIN COOL!!!!
On another note....we have one man down. Pat. He cut off part of his finger on Friday afternoon. He was rushed to a clinic along with Ronnie by his side. Shortly there after, the part of his finger that was severed off followed. The doctor there took very good care of him, reattached the finger, shot him in the butt several times with antibiotics & pain killers, & sent him on his way back here to the hotel. Everyone thought it be best if he returned home immediatley for care in the US. The clinic was clean & everything went as smooth as possible, BUT....well, you all get it. Ronnie & I dropped him off as the airport yesterday morning to fly back home.

We miss him terribly. Pat, if you're reading this, please know how much we miss you! We wish you a speedy recovery!!

With one man down, the others are taking up the slack quite well, but, not that it's easy. Thank God for the team that we have here. If all continues to go as well as it has, we should be outta here by maybe next weekend sometime, but, we'll see.

I went to the jobsite again yesterday, Saturday, & I can't believe how the job has progressed! Even though it has only been a few days since I've been there last, it amazes me how much these guys can accomplish in such a short amount of time. They literally work their butts off.

There are still language barriers between crane operators, guards, & guys they have put to work up in the air on the steel, but everyone works these issues out. If they don't, Ronnie comes along & will jump on a crane in a moments notice(!).

I have photographed the site from every angle, up in the air, on top on the steel, on top of the tractor trailors, on top of the conex boxes, & on top of the RX building next door. The surrounding area is so busy with people, it's amazing that many people can fit in the size of that area & still have large trucks pass by them. Blowing their horns nonstop, of course, but they do manage to dissappear somewhere past them.

There was a UN tank out there yesterday. There was something going on, but, by the time I got up onto the tractor trailer, the only thing I witnessed was when they let off the water gun once on someone & then moved on past us. They had all four corners covered from the top though, fully armed. When I zoomed in on them, they were once focused in on me, talking on their radio.

I don't stay in one place to long as to not be anyones target. I move around alot. I think I drive the guard crazy! He follows me around like a puppy sometimes!! But, hey....that's cool!

I know a whole lot more people on the job now, which is nice. I think for the most part, everyone is really nice. I noticed that a smile goes a long way. It's universal, everyone understands it, & it opens alot of doors.

There were about 300 bodies located near the jobsite yesterday too. So sad. There are said to still be approximatley 30,000 to 50,000 people still unrecovered

Before I came, I was in touch with a friend who said learn the language if you can, they even appreciate you trying. (thank you Michelle for hooking me up with Christine!) I learned a little french before I came & can tell you, the little I learned has gotten me far. Of course then people think you speak the langauge & go off on some conversation that I don't understand! Sometimes I can get by, other times I have to finally break down & say "english?"! I plan to continue my french lessons after I leave just in case I return. (or end up in France sometime, I hear the food is amazing!!!)

Well, we're not flying today, but we may on Saturday if the guys finish the job by the end of the week.

I'll be staying here tomorrow at the hotel & promise to post images somewhere. I may have to post them to facebook & I will create an album there & let you all know if I do & where to go.

I can only post 5 at a time on here & to go through my website, I still only have so much space. Facebook seems to be the best way to go at this point for all of you to see alot of them.

The guys returned from their adventure downtown with a cake for Billy! We all sang Happy Birthday & attempted to have cake. I say attempted because after 1 bite, we couldn't eat anymore! It tasted like sawdust! Not that I ever ate sawdust, but I imagine if I had, that's what it would taste like! It was terrible! We had a good laugh though! I'll try to make another cake this week in my electric frying pan. It says it can...?!

Well, that's all for now. I'll let you all know tomorrow about where to find the pic's.

Keep in touch, stay safe, & Love, Love, Love.....












2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    This is Pats step daughter Mary just wanted to update and let everyone know he is doing okay and had a doctors appointment today in which they gave him more antibiotics and want to see him back next Tuesday. Hopefully it heals with no surgery necessary. I believe my mom will be on here later with a more detailed update. We wish him a speedy recovery! Stay safe down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary-
    Thanks so much for the update. I just replied back to your Mom a moment ago. Sorry things aren't going as good as we had hoped for. Your Mom said he may loose the part that had been attached. We know he'll be ok though, he's a tough cookie!
    We're all taking good care of one another, so no worries! Thanks for your concern!
    We wish Pat all the best & a speedy recovery as well!
    Thanks for your comment too!

    ReplyDelete