Thursday, September 30, 2010

Haiti, the jobsite...
















I went to the jobsite with the men as planned yesterday. It was everything they had told me it was. The day was long & grueling. On the ride there we wittnessed an accident beside us. The one thing that probably affected me the most was the dead dog lying in the road as everyone drove around it. We were told that evening that it would probably be on someones dinner table that night. The ride there was long, but not as long as the ride home. There is more traffic in the evening & there are traffic jams everywhere. Our driver really knows his way around though & takes us down side streets that take us back down before we go back up again.
I wasn't as shocked as the guys thought I'd be at the jobsite. It was definetley everything I thought it would be. It was hot & dirty & the smell from the raw sewerage & the decaying bodies is sickening. In the background of one of the images I'm attaching, there is a collasped building that 300 to 400 bodies had never been pulled out of. It's like this everywhere. I imagine the people were so overwhelmed with a body count of 300,000 that they eventually just stopped recovering them. Besides, where were they going to put them anyway?
The building the men are errecting is going to be a farmer's market for all the people to sell their wares in. They are building a replica of one that is sort of still standing. It's going to be beautiful! The ornamental wrought iron & cast is georgous! I think it'll be one of the prettiest places around. And if there is another earthquake, it'll probably be the only one left standing.
The guys are doing an awesome job! I'm so impressed & so proud of them! People everywhere stop and watch them. I see them on the rooftops of surrounding buildings singing! They gather & climb up high on the ruble to watch them. They wave, blow kisses, & are so happy to see this happening! Ronnie put together a great crew. The other men there compliment on how well the guys all work together & how hard they work! Some of them are watching to learn how our guys do it.
Ronnie put one haitian to work that I had been talking to all throughtout the day & this man was undescribably beaming with pride, he was so proud. He had told me earlier in the day that he had lost his wife in the earthquake & that he was raising his 4 children alone.
These guys are really making a difference here under devastating circumstances. We should all be so proud of them.

4 comments:

  1. hi holly, im jamie, mike linton's wife. this is sucha great place for me to come and check out! mike told me to contact you and that u were going to be taking pictures of them on site. but this is far better than i imagined! i cant tell you how happy i am to be able to "experience" what mike is going thru. thank you so much for this!! i will be checking daily for updates!! make sure all those guys stay safe they are doing an incredible job!!
    take care!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly, This Is Christine Richie McGuigan Girlfriend, Great pics, great site. Wow this is a wonderful experience for you. I could only imagine what its like. Rich said I could possibly go to the second phase. I really would like to see how the Market is becoming. Also wanted to thank you for the web site. Blow the guys kisses,LOL, from me and tell them to be safe they all know me.. My boys are the best!!
    I will be checking in daily,
    You also be safe..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie & Christine!
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, there never seems to be enough time in my days. When I'm not on the jobsite with the men, I'm processing the images I took while there. It takes all day to accomplish this task, saving them to 2 external hard drives, resizing them so I can post them and then posting them somewhere for all of you to see.
    Today, I swore I would reply to as many paople as possible that have been so gracious enough to be keeping up with all of what has been going on here. We do appreciate your comments & PLEASE keep them coming! Some days, when I'm on the jobsite, I don't even get to come on here & check, but I do as soon as I possibly can, usually the next day. I don't go to the site 2 days in a row.
    I looking forward to meeting both of you when we all return as we will be getting together for some sort of gathering for some GOOD food & GREAT laughs!
    Thanks again for keeping in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Holly
    Sounds great, can't wait also looking forward to meeting you. Pics are great and seems there is alot I am missing. With Billy's birthday, Pats finger, Wow Market is looking good the guys Know their stuff. Hope is all well, I am sure missing my honey, Richie.
    Well take care all......XXOO

    ReplyDelete