Saturday, November 10, 2012

Brigantine ~ Hurricane Sandy

What an spectacular day! I spent the afternoon in Brigantine. I began at the historical society, which was closed for the winter, but spoke to a couple of people at the Marine Mammal Stranding Center about the ruins that have surfaced on the north end beach. I keep getting the same answers about the ruins, but, not the specific answer I'm looking for. So far, I know it's one of these four things...Coast Guard Station, Life Saving Station, (no, not one in the same,) train station or a hotel with a boardwalk. The good news is, I am making progress and found the person I need to speak to. I'll call him this week and will let you all know who are as curious as I am.
From there, I went to a friends house on the north end and helped empty her shed that had flooded during the storm. This was not her only damage. I feel this is such a small contribution in the large scheme of things, I wish I could do more. And, if nothing else, sharing some of what's out there with all of you through my vision and imagery I hope has made some difference in your world. This is our history and I am a recorder of moments in time. My hope is to bring to you what I see through the eye of my lens. There is alot out there that I can't photograph, the yards and streets are lined with people's lives and people are cleaning up everywhere. I can't do all of it all of the time. It's different information than I am used to sharing. I've had conversations with people on the sensitivity of this issue. Not every image out there is every photographers shot.
Everyone is weathering one storm or another in their lives No one knows how deep your water is. Just remember that we're all in this same boat together. If you feel yourself going down, reach out for one of us, we'll throw you a line. We all need one at some point and time or another. 

There has been a major increase with work these days. Not just in our homes and yards, but in our neighborhoods, our communities and our shorelines. People have been helpful and kind and alot of credit goes out to the lineman, telephone, cable companies and the men and woman whom worked tireless hours for aiding everyone in their journey to being put back on the grid. You know we all have stories!
There are many hard working people in our area and with doing some homework, you should be able to find someone that will fit your needs. Keep in mind, some are licensed and insured, some are not. Bottom line, have some sort of agreements before any work is done spelling everything out. Keeping it local will stimulate your local economy and citizens and should be given much thought to. I know alot of good hearted, honest, talented tradesman that would love the opportunity to work for you.

These past couple of storms, Hurricane Sandy, then a nor'easter with anywhere from a couple of inches to a foot of snow in some places along with a minor earthquake in northern Jersey, have made us stronger than we were going in. It was a crazy record breaking week.
Mother Nature is very unsettled lately. We know climate changes exist, but we have accelerated this to a place in time that was predicted to happen in the future and it's happening now. I've had opportunities to speak to many of you about being prepared for future natural disasters. I've been preaching the speech for a long time and environmental changes are happening, there is no denying we all need to get on board. Just prepare!

I met a young woman, Allison Anholt, whom works with The Division of Fish and Game and is involved with New Jersey's Conservation on the beach today. I hiked down to the end with her as she explained her research on the Great American Oyster Catchers and other migratory birds. We shared alot between us and I hope our paths shall cross again. She reminded me alot of myself in younger years! She's a free spirited soul.

I found a couple of old bottles up on what used to be the dune area, one still had the cork in it. I'll post images in an album on facebook when I finish editing from today's shooting. This past Monday I found an old railroad spike between the ruins and the shipwreck, and today I found what looks to me to be an old anchor.

I had then met up with another photographer / Library II owner, that I had met some time ago, but I haven't seen for awhile, Bruce Claypool, http://www.bruceclaypool.com/  He's so full of life and it was an interesting, although short, time spent with him. Check out his site if you get the chance, his work is beautiful.

I have posted several albums on facebook recently regarding Hurricane Sandy. In the past week, I had received several emails from friends with a link to a slideshow of images on another photographers website. Many of these images were mine and the only place the images could have come from was facebook. Although she did state on her site that she didn't take any of the photographs. She also had a statement regarding copyright laws referencing the use or purchase of her work.
I know many of you "share" my images on your posts, these are the times we live in. I don't mind sharing, but I do ask you include my "Copyright Holly Horner Photography" credit line on any of the images you share. It's only fair for this is what I do. I know I'm in a virtual cyber world now, but give the credit where the credit is due. This isn't just for me, it's for all artists and craftsman out there. We value our creations and want our names on them. We never know where our next lead is!

I hope and pray this post finds you all well and you are enduring any and all storms in you life.

Much Love, Peace and Happiness, and take time to hear the music..."Dance like no one is watching"
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment