Saturday, November 5, 2011

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I awoke at 2:00am this Saturday morning & left for the Philadelphia airport at 3:20am. The airport was interesting, as usual. Getting through security has always been a problem, but since September 11th, it's more trying than ever. Canon has loaned me their 800mm lens & I think security thought I was looking for that long shot, never having a photograph in mind. I made it through to Denver in a little more than 4 hours with the next big hurtle being the smaller plane to Winnipeg. They weren't going to let me on the plane with all my equipment. They wanted me to check the suitcase with all my gear, the other held only the 800mm. I was guarding the 800 with my life so I couldn't let them take that, I would never want to let canon down. They even took me onto the plane I caused such a fuss to prove it to me that there was no way it was going to fit on that plane. They were right. I shed a few tears, still, that wasn't going to make it fit on the plane either. The man at security did say he would personally take my case & put it on board himself, but he couldn't account for it on the other end. At some point I was told I had to check in at another desk. When I went down there, I suddenly came up with the idea that I should take the backpack out of the suitcase, fill it with my other things, coat, scarf, pillow, a few chargers, flung it around on my back, held onto the 800 & gave them the suitcase. I pulled it off! Where there is a will, there is a way! Positive thoughts go a long way too!
Flying into Winnipeg, I seen a few miles of wind farms, surrounded by many food farms. I was also told by one of the locals on the plane that the government was looking to extend a road from Winnipeg to Churchill which would elimnate the need for the train. I would say be careful of all those changes. I think it would take away from what makes one so curious to want to be there in the first place.
In a little less than 2 hours & I was in Winnipeg. Going through customs was a breeze, especially now I know the answers they're looking for. Learned alot of those mistakes along the way!
I exchanged my currency at the airport, then I called the hotel shuttle & they were there within 5 minutes. There was a group of us all going to the same hotel. I asked if any of them were going to see the polar bears & all of them were. Only difference was that they were flying into Churchill in the morning & I'll be headed for the train station. Hugh difference in price & time traveling. They'll be there in 1 to 2 hours, it'll take me 2 days by train. As much as I would love to see Churchill by air, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the train ride.
My room at the hotel is like a small condo & I feel like a princess being in it! I went down to the lounge, ordered dinner, & brought it back up to my room & watched a movie. Life is good! Tonight, I'll retire early, wake up early, have breakfast downstairs, then catch a cab across town to the train station & embark on the next part of my journey.
Till then my friends, stay well & be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment