Friday, November 18, 2011

Back in the states...

I've come to find I've learned more about Churchill than I ever thought I would. Although, I believe I can never learn enough.
Churchill is an incredible place. Alot of controversy was heard about what is happening there. As I had mentioned in previous posts, I had taken the VIA Canada train to Churchill as there aren't any roads that lead there. There is flight service, but weighing out the cost between the flight & the train, well, obviously, the train was the way to go for me. As many of you know, I get to the places I do because of the way I travel. I don't always have all the luxuries many other people do when they travel, but, for me, it's all about the experiences I have along the way. Besides that, I have no problem roughing it!
I met many fascinating people on the 2 day train ride to Churchill. There was a group called "The Great Bear Foundation", there were biologist, documentary film makers, naturalists, people whom embarked on a journey to the Churchill Research Center, photographers, a forester, people who have made it their lives ambition to see as much of the world as possible, the young, the old & all ages in between. ( this is only some of the people I met!)
The train does not travel at very fast speeds because of permafrost doing damage to the tracks. They are in constant need of maintenance. I got to bare witness to this as we passed a train wreck along the way.
We traveled through the Boreal Forest being made up of Birch, Popular, White & Black Spruce trees. It was beautiful!

On the day I rented my old Ford pick up truck, I traveled to the end of the road to The Research Center. (after I was chased by a bear down the road in reverse) It wasn't what I though it would be, but, an amazing place just the same. This image is of a missile launch that remains there from when the military did their research there.
 Global warming is very real. The North is one of the places that will give you much insight as to what is happening globally. The Hudson Bay has not froze yet, there hasn't been much snow, it's been warmer than usual & the polar bears are starving. There are predictions that the polar bears may be extinct within 4 to 5 years if things continue the way they are going.
The bears need the ice to freeze so as to get to their main food staple, the ringed seals.
There is an area called the dump where grain has been dumped & buried & alot of the bears go there for this grain. The grain ferments, the bears dig it up, eat it & then become drunk from ingesting it. It is not healthy for them.



As cute as these bears look, they are extremely dangerous. They can run 35 mph, humans can not. They can turn over a vehicle, destroy a wall to get into a house & after they are dropped off by helicopter between 200 to 500 miles away, can find their way back within 5 days. They are smart animals. (Although, most all animals are smarter than most humans give them credit for) Never underestimate them.
My last day there, I woke up to about 6 to 8 inches of snow & I had another opportunity to go dog sledding, only on a real sled this time. It was amazing! We went on trails through the Boreal Forest, it was so quiet except for the sound of the sled & the paws of the dogs mushing along. It was beautiful!

I'm thankful to be home again, safely, in my bed & to have all the luxuries of home!
Thank you for your comments & following my blog! I will keep you posted as to when there will be a viewing of the images from this incredible adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment