Thursday, September 19, 2013

New Zealand



September 19, 2013
The first part of the journey has ended, but not without leaving me with memories of some of the nicest people I have ever met in my travels. The people in New Zealand were down to earth, kind and grateful to help you to the extent of taking you to your destination if you wanted or needed them to. They live simply and most are farmers of cattle or sheep, own a cafĂ©’, a holiday park, an artist trying to make a living or have a job that they are grateful to have. They serve you with a smile and will take the time to sit and chat a while with you about anything. New Zealand is clean and the water is the prettiest blue/green color I’ve ever seen and clear.
We flew into Auckland, spent the night in a hotel there to regroup from the long flight and collected our campervan the next morning which would become our home for the next 23 days. Small, but it was big enough for the 2 of us. We had a sink, stove, microwave, a small fridge and a bed. We also opted for the additional heater/fan, and we’re glad we did! The weather was rainy a lot in the beginning to the point I wondered if that was all it ever did there in New Zealand. It was also cold as the seasons are opposite of ours. The heater kept us alive at night!
We traveled the north island first to the top at Cape Reigna. There was a lighthouse there and it’s where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Oceans meet. We arrived late at night to the carpark and were unable to do the hike down to the lighthouse that evening, but the view of the stars in the carpark was amazing! We camped down the road in another carpark , awoke early and went back there to photograph the sunrise and hike down to the lighthouse that morning.
The road was winding most of the way up there and on the way back down the island, we went to check out 90 mile beach. The sand was so packed hard that we decided to drive down the beach a bit….we passed every exit till we couldn’t drive any further! It took us a lot less time than it did on the way up the island. I was really glad about that as while out visiting Russell on the way up island, I threw my back out carrying all my equipment. That was the beginning of a really rough week for me. I had to lay in the back of the camper for an entire week. I hated it, but had no other choice. I also had a major flare up with my arthritis. I had brought a heating pad and a power inverter which got me through that week as well. I still got out to photograph every opportunity. (!) The heating pad was awesome till it caught fire one night. I had with draws after it was gone, but I survived. Another thing that got me through that week was geothermal mineral pools in Taupo. We stayed there 2 nights to help me get back on my feet. During the days while there we visited a place called Craters of the moon thermal activity area, Aratiatia Rapids, The Wairakei Geothermal Power Station and a bee and honey place.  You’ll have to come to the show to see the images of these very interesting places!
We drove to Wellington to ferry over the Cook Straight to Picton. We stayed in Wellington for the night in a Holiday park that was the back carpark for a motorlodge. Not one of the better camps we stayed in, but we were in the middle of a bad storm and could no longer drive. Let alone, we had a booking for the ferry the next morning. The campervan shook all night and morning. We later found out we also had a 5.2 earthquake that morning. We thought we had felt something, but figured it to be the storm!
The ferry ride was rough. There were 10 foot swells, maybe larger. There were people getting sick all around me. I just laid there, unable to lift my head. At least I never got as sick as the passengers all around me.
We arrived in Picton, spent the night at a camp, then headed to the top of the south island, the Farewell Spit. Another winding road, up & down & around the mountains, all the while me still laying in the back of the campervan. But, it was beautiful. We traveled through little towns, far and few in between. The coolest little town had to be by far for me was Collingwood. It was a little hippy town that I could fit right into! We had lunch, shopped & bought goodies from the bakery there. Eventually we made to Farewell Spit.
We arrived late and missed the sunset so we decided to shoot for sunrise. We left in the dark to hike down to the beach that was supposed to be a 20 minute hike. Lesson learned. Always take a light and more water than you think you’ll need. We hiked through sheep pastures in the mountains till sunrise for an hour and 45 minutes till we stopped. We turned around and hiked back a bit till we found another trail. Getting lost turned out to be a beautiful thing as I never would have seen what I did had I just done the 20 minute hike! It turned out to be one of the best hikes of the trip! The beach had huge rocks, arched rocks, caves and we even found a seal pup!
That was just the beginning of the South Island! There were fur seals all along the coast, a waterfall that the seal pups traveled up to and played in the pools at the bottom all day while their parents fished for food, 3 different species of penguins, Moeraki  Boulders on the beach, snow capped mountains and then there was Doubful Sound. We have seen some spectacular sights in a place that started out as just an after thought for me in the beginning of the planning stages. I never would have thought this to be a place that I would have fallen in love with the way I have.
I can honestly tell you one thing, it was mostly because of the locals I met along the way. They sent us to some of the best places on these 2 islands.  These aren’t even half the stories! New Zealand was truly an amazing adventure, one of the cleanest places I’ve ever been to, and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering it as a travel to option!
We arrived in Australia yesterday morning. New Zealander’s…you were right(!), it sure is different here!
I’ll write again soon! It’S busy here trying to take it all in and keep up with it all. As I always say…It’s not easy being me! Living the life and loving the life I live…till next time my friends…take care of yourselves and each other.
I’m off to see some friends in Australia!
Much Peace, Love & Happiness, Holly
P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER CRISTA JOY! You truly have been the Joy of my life! I’m so proud to be your Mom! Thank you for all you’ve been doing for me! Love you BUNCHES! XOXOX



No comments:

Post a Comment